The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Site Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree from four-year college or university, ideally in Civil Engineering or another relevant focus; or 4 to 10 years of directly related experience and/or training in a heavy equipment / hauling / landfill environment; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 4-5+ years of management experience and success overseeing operations in a heavy construction equipment; experience with landfill sites is highly preferred
- An unwavering commitment to safety
- Basic P&L knowledge and experience
- Solid computer skills including MS Office Suite programs (e.g. Excel and Word); comfort learning new programs; experience with truck scale software is an advantage
- Experience motivating and developing direct reports
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Excellent communication skills to work effectively with multiple levels and titles; ability to clearly communicate instructions, goals and objectives
- Outstanding relationship building and customer service skills
- Strong decision-making skills combined with an action-oriented approach
- A commitment to driving positive results and holding yourself and team members accountable
- Initiative with the drive and desire to improve processes and procedures
- Professional maturity; the ability to listen, influence and motivate, resolve conflicts and create a positive work environment
- Flexibility and adaptability
- An ethical and value-based work style
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Operations Manager, as Site Manager for our Nebraska City operation, you will manage a site including marketable fly ash and an onsite landfill and ash disposal operation. You will be responsible for a team of ten direct reports including laborers/truck drivers, heavy equipment operators (front-end loader, dozers, dump trucks, etc.), a full-time mechanic, a lab tech responsible for daily tests, and an administrative assistant.
Boral Material Technologies offers a wide variety of pozzolans to improve concrete performance during placement and throughout the life of the project. BMT is a major source of the most commonly used pozzolan, Fly Ash, produced from the combustion of coal in power generating plants, Fly Ash aids the formation of cementitious compounds to enhance the strength, impermeability and durability of concrete. Boral's Fly Ash Business Unit has multiple sites responsible for managing and delivery and deposal of Fly Ash. Nebraska City is such a site.
Class C Fly Ash
- Class C Fly Ash provides unique self-hardening characteristics and reduces permeability. Especially useful in pre-stressed concrete and other applications where high early strengths are required. Also useful in soil stabilization. Class C color can be seen in the freeway image above.
Class F Fly Ash
- Class F Fly Ash reduces bleeding and segregation in plastic concrete. In hardened concrete, increases ultimate strength, reduces drying shrinkage and permeability, lowers heat of hydration and reduces creep. Class F color can be seen in the bridge image below.
Your first responsibility is safety and providing a "Zero Harm Today" work environment. You will ensure a safe work site for employees, including yourself, contractors and other site personnel and guests by adhering to all corporate and site specific safety policies and procedures.
On a daily basis, you will oversee site operations, schedules and employee job performance by monitoring work flow, shipments, test results and other site details. Keeping open lines of communication will be critical, both to ensure a best-in-class operation and to keep your finger on the pulse of the site. You will motivate and guide team members and help develop their skills and talent as appropriate.
Additionally, you will:
- Ensure all functions are carried out in compliance with all site regulatory requirements from multiple agencies including but not limited to; State Environmental Agencies, EPA, OSHA, etc.
- Coordinate production, distribution, warehousing, and sales in accordance with policies, principles, and procedures established by the Company.
- Coordinate operational activities, utilizing common civil construction equipment and procedures in accordance with site development and landfill grading plans.
- Develop plans for efficient use of materials, machines, and employees.
- Review production costs and product quality, and modify production and inventory control programs to maintain and enhance a profitable operation.
- Coordinate and assist with maintenance projects as required.
- Review operations of competing organizations and plan and direct sales program to develop new markets.
- Prepare operational schedules and coordinate activities to ensure the quality of products meet specifications.
- Inspect machine and equipment to ensure specific operational performance and optimum utilization.
- Examine material to be delivered to verify conformance to specifications.
- Direct preparation of accounting records.
- Recommend budgets to management
More Good ReasonsEnjoy visibility and make your mark
This is a tremendous opportunity for a strong site manager with a passion for safety, outstanding organizational skills and a focus on improvements, to make a long term impact. In this role you can spotlight your talent and your successes will be noticed and applauded.
While you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, if you want to advance your career, this is an optimal role to showcase your talent. Prove yourself and you can open other doors of opportunity within the company, in this or another division. Boral is ripe with opportunity for our proven performers. In fact, your supervisor joined us right out of college and worked his way up through the ranks...and his story is not uncommon here!
Our people are our most valuable resource
if you’re looking for a place you can build a career home, be challenged and grow professionally, you’ve found it! We run collaborative teams, respect individual and team contributions and have a “ground-up” management view. People enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity. In fact, it's very rare to have a site manager quit. Most have been with us a long time.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match.
Keys to SuccessThis is a site that affords a good deal of independence. To do the operation justice, you will be passionate about your role and run the site as if it were your own business. You will be aware of everything happening on site, communicate openly and regularly with your team and remain a visible presence daily. This is not a position where effective management happens from behind a desk.
Naturally, safety will be paramount and part of that is to keep up the facility. The quality of your operation should be evident by sight and through the examination of the fine details, such as employee morale, P&L, reporting, etc.